Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TWD: Dulce De Leche Duos

I'm noticing a trend here.....I just can't seem to get enough of the doughs, batters, and fillings BEFORE they go into the oven! The batter was heavenly! It's the damn oven process seems to screw everything up! I keep telling my hubby that we desperately need a new oven, but he's still in denial. Until it explodes or turns something rainbow colored, I'll have to wait until we win the lottery!

I ended up using Cajeta, which is basically the same as Dulce de leche, but made with goat's milk. I found it in the same isle as all of the other Mexican food items. The batter came together nicely, though I suspected it was a little thin to hold its shape in the oven. I tested a couple and this is how they came out:



My next thought was to chill the dough before putting them into the oven, hoping this would help them hold their shape.
No such luck:


Attempt #3....I decided to add more flour to what was left of the batter. I added an additional 1/2 cup of AP flour. The consistency was much firmer and held its shape on the sheet pan far better. Crisis averted....this seemed to do the trick. It's always tough when you don't have a photo to go by; the results are always in question, though, sometimes beautiful disasters happen this way!


So, in the end, nobody in the family shied away from these sweet, crispy, chewy delights. I decided they were so good on their own that I didn't want to add any more sweet, or overpower them with too much chocolate, so I went with a drizzle of chocolate over the top and a sprinkling of toasted pecans. Scrum-diddly-umpcious!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, your final cookies look sooo good with that drizzle of chocolate and the pecans on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now they look yummy! I like your thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies have to be the prettiest I have seen! Love the drizzle and the chopped pecans. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had added more flour to mine, because mine look just like yours did before the flour.

    The batter was out of this world good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful cookies! love the chocolate drizzle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about adding more flour so that it wouldn't spread so much but wussed out. Glad to see that it worked for you. Love the addition of choco drizzle and pecans.
    -CB
    http://iheartfood4thought.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I had thot to add the pecans on top. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look really delicious! glad you were able to correct your dough!

    ReplyDelete